Today I got 7 of the 10 garden boxes planted. It was a lot of work! It took quite a bit of time to fill each of the boxes with the garden mix. Still, it really was fun, and I can't wait to watch them grow.
Here is a picture of a box filled with soil, prior to planting.
Here is a box planted with cauliflower and broccoli:
Here is the configuration of the boxes I have planted so far:
- 4 Brussels Sprouts and 4 cabbage (Golden Acre)
- 4 purple cauliflower and 4 broccoli (Pacman)
- 2 Husky red tomatoes
- 1 Orange Strawberry tomato and 1 Red Star tomato
- 1 eggplant and Robert's Best Black tomato
- 3 Italian parsley, 1 Banana Bill Pepper, and 1 icebox watermelon
- 4 Fordhook zucchini and 4 cucumbers
Each garden box comes with two tubes of water soluable fertilizer that lay on top of the planting mix, under the plastic cover. The plastic cover itself has a guide on the back that shows you where to cut the holes for correct plant spacing. It was a bit difficult to put the plants directly under where you cut the holes. I also noticed that the holes they show to cut are going to be too small once the plants start to grow, but it will be no problem to cut them larger when necessary. I had to cut some holes larger at the start, such as for the parsley.