Friday, May 16, 2008

Starting Down the Path

Friday, May 16, 2008

I decided to start a blog when my garden boxes arrived from agardenpatch.com. After years of gardening the traditional way, I decided to try garden boxes to bring back the fun of gardening. Now that I have fewer hours to play in the dirt, and pulling weeds and fighting bunnies has lost some of its appeal, I have decided to give garden boxes a try. Friends, co-workers, neighbors, and fellow gardeners have asked me to keep them posted on how they work. Keeping a blog seems like a good way to share my successes and failures with the boxes, as well as a more fun way to keep records for myself.

I am happy to say the garden boxes were very easy to assemble. I had all 10 of them put together in under an hour. I was a bit alarmed at how shallow the actual planting box is. You can really grow two tomato plants in one of these? We'll see how it goes...

While researching the boxes I read that you should use only potting mix--not potting soil, which is too heavy, and only potting mix that does not contain plant food. We were able to find potting mix without fertilizer at Lowe's. Now that the boxes have arrived, the instructions say it is OK to use potting mix with plant food. The mix with plant food is certainly easier to find. I still need more planting mix, so I think I'll go ahead and get the Miracle Grow kind, and mix them half and half.

I have decided to place the garden boxes in my vegetable garden, so my job for tomorrow is to pull up the early weeds, lay down the weed barrier, and arrange the plant boxes. I hope the rain stays away until at least late Sunday!

No comments: