Sunday, May 25, 2008

Beautiful Day for Gardening





It was a beautiful day to be outside enjoying the yard and garden. The temperature was in the mid-70s with a gentle breeze. A number of errands kept me from being outside as much as I would have liked, but I did take some time to snap some photos. The first photo shows how I am hardening off plants on my porch prior to planting them in the garden boxes. The wash tub protects the plants from wind and nibbling critters (bunnies mostly, I suspect). The second picture shows the Sea Holly 'Blue Jackpot' flower I planted yesterday (Thank you again, Amber, it is such a neat plant!). Next is a picture of strawberries blooming in an old stock watering tank and some of our irises in the background. The final picture are some yellow irises I call our "farmhouse irises." This is because these flowers were rescued by my husband from an old farmstead that was being razed for a new subdivision. My husband couldn't stand to see them bulldozed and managed to get them in time. They are beautiful flowers and I just love them. I'd like to think the farm wife who planted them years ago would be happy we have them. They are planted near a bench in the garden which is a peaceful place to sit and relax. What a great day. I wish we could have more days just like this one!


No comments: