Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Steady Progress

A violent storm blew through last Sunday evening with wind gusts up to 60 mph. Power lines were blown down, tree branches were everywhere, and there were reports of roofs blown away, but the garden held up pretty well. Most of my plant collars were blown off, and one of my pie tins, but these things were easily fixed. The only plant damage was to the broccoli and cauliflower, and it was minor. They didn't hold up well to the wind and were leaning every which way. I rigged up some stakes so I could make a twine frame to support the stalks, and they seem to be doing fine. I really don't know if the plants would have fared any better if planted in the ground instead of in the garden boxes, but I doubt it.

I continue to be impressed by how stocky and strong the tomatoes are looking. The zucchini and acorn squash are growing like crazy. No bean seeds have sprouted yet, but it won't be long.

At this point I would have to say I am enjoying gardening in the boxes!

No comments: